Accelerate Okanagan Welcomes Applications for entrepreneurship@AO
By Andrea Wahbe on Jan 31, 2012 / Categories: CDMN News, Featured
Startups, get your applications ready! Kelowna, BC-based Accelerate Okanagan is now accepting applications for entrepreneurship@AO, a comprehensive 12-month program designed to support and nurture early-stage technology companies from product concept to market entry, created in partnership with BCIC. entrepreneurship@AO is one of six entrepreneurship@ programs developed by BCIC to launch and grow new, sustainable technology companies in BC.
“The entrepreneurship@AO initiative forms part of Accelerate Okanagan’s overall program offering for entrepreneurs and technology companies looking to start, accelerate and grow,” said Jeff Keen, Acting CEO of Accelerate Okanagan. “It will also help attract to the Okanagan some of the hottest growth companies from outside the region through the provision of value-adding services.”
Fifteen successful applicants will be chosen for this inaugural program. Each company accepted into the program will receive:
- One-year’s enrolment in Accelerate Okanagan’s flagship Venture Acceleration Program, offering high-growth technology companies support from a dedicated venture advisor and a wide range of proven entrepreneurs and technology sector experts; access to bi-weekly business clinics; participation in workshops, seminars and other structured educational and skills development programs; and critical connections provincially, nationally and internationally
- Free access to shared office space at the organization’s Innovation Centres in Kelowna and Penticton
- Participation in the BCIC Mentor Program, a province-wide development program that matches technology start-up founders with seasoned entrepreneurs. Mentors provide support that is critical for successful growth of the start-up.
“BCIC is pleased to support the BC Jobs Plan through the creation of the newest entrepreneurship@ program in BC,” said Mark Payne, Acting CEO of BCIC. “We look forward to seeing the outcomes generated by the companies accepted into entrepreneurship@AO, including jobs and further benefits to the already vibrant and growing technology sector in the Okanagan.”
The application deadline for entrepreneurship@AO is Wednesday, February 15, 2012. Companies will be able to pitch to a panel of judges in either Kelowna or Vancouver. The selected applicants will be announced on February 23, 2012, with the Program set to launch March 1, 2012.
Benefits of the entrepreneurship@AO program include:
- Accelerated time-to-market and time-to-revenue for early-stage technology start-ups
- Capital efficiency: with access to shared resources and office space
- Fostered company growth
- Structured programming designed to minimize risk and accelerate growth
- Support, guidance and mentorship for successful applicants from Accelerate Okanagan’s Entrepreneurs-in-Residence and professional program and service partners.
entrepreneurship@AO is open to all provincial, national and international start-up ventures that are:
- Technology focussed
- Pre-commercial/ concept stage
- High growth potential
- Fully committed to participating in the program and associated services
- Willing to locate in Kelowna or Penticton in the Okanagan.
Learn more about entrepreneurship@AO online at: http://www.accelerateokanagan.com/programs/entrepreneurshipatao/.